The Old Stone House Museum is located in Brownington Village, Vermont, and opened as a museum in 1925. The history of our large 4-story granite building, however, begins in the 1830s. At that time, Brownington Village was home to a two story grammar school—the sole grammar school of Orleans County. A “grammar school” at that time was similar to what we might call a high school or junior college today. In 1829, the trustees of the school hired Alexander Twilight (1795-1857) as the headmaster. It was under Twilight’s leadership that the story of the Old Stone House begins.
The plan was simple, gather a couple of hardcore gravel grinders, make them pedal on some old fire roads, through lakes and mountains and let’s see what happens. We wanted to create something special, a ride we would remember (at least for a couple of years), that would be special not only by its length but mainly by the adventures that would emerge from it.